a lot has been happening around here, and I realized that if I were to dedicate a post to it all, it would end up having to be 20 posts or a 20-page post. I’ll spare you all that reading and give it to you in (friendlier) bullet points:
- first things first: I’m a student again! I waited until I felt ready and excited to study again, and that time is now. it’s the early stages yet, but I’m loving my classes. they’re challenging and interesting and thought-provoking, and I love it. I feel ready for the challenge, and I’m eager to take it all on.
- commuting is…ok. it’s not as hard as I thought it would be, but it’s certainly draining. it takes me about 2 hours going in and about an hour and 20 going back out, so 3.5 hours round trip. I’m sure it will be worse once the winter sets in, but I’m taking the “I’ll deal with that when it comes” road on that one.
- workouts are back on. I get off work at 4 and head straight for the gym, where I do a combination of stretches, cardio, and weight training for a little more than an hour, then I shower and drive downtown to pick up James on the way home (he gets off work at 6). it’s been working out nicely. the exercise gives me the space to let out some stress (that sometimes I don’t even know I’m carrying), it re-energizes me for the drive home, and it gives me the stamina to do all the things I have to do in addition to keeping me healthy. it’s been feeling really good. I wake up in the morning feeling sore, but in that good way where you feel limber and active. my body and mind have been thanking me for it. to make sure I stay on track and ready to go, I pack my gym bag the night before so that I can just grab it on the way to the car.
- we’re working on our retirement…and got us a financial planner. we’re still working on
beefing upestablishing our 401ks, but you have to start somewhere, right? we’d like to retire someday…and have kids…and send them to school…so, yeah, we’re reviewing the financial plan packet our adviser just created for us. seriously, the fact that I have a financial plan packet and thinking of terms like diversifying and really knowing our long-term and short-term financial goals is a little weird, but we’re doing it. does this mean we’re adults now?
- my closet has shrunk to 1/3 its former size. I’ve been inspired by Caroline and in the process of tweaking my wardrobe for the fall/winter. more on that soon, but I’m loving that I know exactly what’s in my closet and that I use it all.
- I know IKEA gets some flack sometimes for not being the best quality, but it has been a lifesaver the past month. making our 10 x 12 bedroom a multi-purpose room would have been 1000x harder without them. they just design pieces that work in tough spots. I would like “real” furniture someday, but IKEA will always have a fond place in my heart.
- I’m growing my hair out. honestly, I’m tempted to chop it back into the long bob I’ve been rocking for a couple of years, but it’s growing out so nicely and I don’t want to mess with it, so I’m letting it do its thing right now.
- after a few years of feeling like I’m slogging through mud at every turn, the past couple of weeks have been the exact opposite. I feel energized and renewed, like I’ve awoken from a stupor I didn’t even know I was in. things I struggled with for years suddenly ceased to be important, I’m no longer racked with guilt or indecision or regret. I want to get things done and move on to a new chapter. there’s a part of me that worries if this is a flame that’s bound to burn out, but I quash that thought as soon as it comes and push on harder. I’m grabbing this clarity and running with it as fast and as hard as I can.
whew. that’s all of it, for now. if you made it this far, congrats and thanks!
what have you been up to?